Lemon zest and basil leaves impart fresh flavor to a classic teatime savory in Lemon-Basil Chicken Salad Sandwiches. Lemon-Basil Chicken Salad Sandwiches pictured with Cucumber-Thyme Sandwiches.
- 21 very thin slices wheat bread
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon zest
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup slivered almonds, lightly toasted
- Using a 1¾-inch square cutter, cut 42 squares from frozen bread slices. To let thaw and to prevent bread from drying out during assembly, cover with damp paper towels, or store in a resealable plastic bag.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, mayonnaise, sour cream, basil, lemon zest, salt, and pepper, stirring to blend. Add almonds, stirring until combined.
- Spread half of chicken salad in a thin layer onto 14 bread squares. Top each with another bread square, and spread with a thin layer of remaining chicken salad. Top each with a third bread square to make 14 triple-stack sandwiches. Serve immediately, or cover with damp paper towels, place in a covered container, and refrigerate until serving time.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!