Savor the lively and fresh tastes of lemon and basil in this gluten-free scone.
- 2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour, such as Pillsbury Multi-Purpose Gluten Free Flour Blend
- ⅓ cup plus 1 teaspoon granulated sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons cold heavy whipping cream, divided
- ¼ teaspoon lemon extract
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, ⅓ cup sugar, baking powder, and salt, whisking well. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add basil and lemon zest, stirring to combine.
- In a liquid-measuring cup, combine 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons cream, lemon extract, and vanilla extract, stirring to blend. Add to flour mixture, stirring until mixture is evenly moist. (If dough seems dry, add more cream, 1 tablespoon at a time.) Working gently, bring mixture together with hands until a dough forms.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead gently 4 to 5 times. Using a rolling pin, roll dough to a 1-inch thickness. Using a fluted 2¼-inch round cutter, cut 10 scones from dough, rerolling scraps as needed. Place scones 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet.
- Brush tops of scones with remaining 1 tablespoon cream. Sprinkle remaining 1 teaspoon sugar on tops of scones.
- Bake until edges of scones are golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean, approximately 20 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Serves: 1¼ cups
- ½ cup cold heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- In a small mixing bowl, beat cream at high speed with a mixer until medium peaks form. Gradually add ricotta cheese and confectioners’ sugar, beating at low speed until combined and desired consistency is achieved.
- Cover, and refrigerate until needed, up to 3 days.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!