This Lemon-Blueberry Cornmeal Cake, topped with delicious candied lemon slices, will brighten any springtime tea table.
Lemon-Blueberry Cornmeal Cake
Serves: 8 to 10
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened, divided
- 1¼ cups plus 1 tablespoon finely ground yellow cornmeal, divided
- ½ cup almond meal
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon zest
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1¼ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup fresh blueberries
- 1 recipe Candied Lemon Slices (recipe follows)
- Reserved lemon syrup from Candied Lemon Slices
- Garnish: fresh lemon curls
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Butter a 9-inch round cake pan with 1 tablespoon softened butter, and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon cornmeal, shaking out excess.
- In a medium bowl, combine remaining 1¼ cups cornmeal, almond meal, baking powder, and salt, whisking well.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine remaining ½ cup butter, sugar, and lemon zest, beating at medium-high speed with a mixer until light and fluffy, approximately 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- In a small bowl, combine sour cream, lemon juice, and vanilla extract, stirring until blended. Add to butter mixture, beating at medium speed just until incorporated. Add cornmeal mixture, folding to blend. Spread cake mixture into prepared pan, smoothing top with an offset spatula to level.
- Bake until edges of cake are golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cake cool in pan for 10 minutes. Turn out cake onto a wire cooling rack, flipping cake so top is right side up. Let cool completely.
- Place cooled cake on a cake plate. Arrange Candied Lemon Slices on top of cake, overlapping slightly. Toss blueberries in reserved lemon syrup from Candied Lemon Slices, and place in center of cake.
- Garnish with lemon curls, if desired.
Candied Lemon Slices
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups water
- 12 thin slices from large lemons
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar and water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Reduce heat to low, and add lemon slices. Cook just until lemon slices become translucent. Remove pan from heat, and let lemon slices cool completely in syrup.
- Just before using, remove lemon slices from syrup, reserving slices and syrup.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!