These light and flaky Lemon-Coconut Scones are a springtime treat.
Yield: 17 scones • Preparation: 25 minutes • Bake: 17 to 18 minutes
Write a review
- ½ cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold salted butter, cut into pieces
- ¾ cup plus 3 tablespoons cold heavy whipping cream, divided
- ½ teaspoon lemon extract
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In the work bowl of a food processor, pulse coconut until coarsely chopped. Spread coconut on a prepared baking sheet. Toast until light golden brown, approximately 5 minutes. Let cool.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, lemon zest, baking powder, and salt, whisking well. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add cooled coconut, stirring to combine. Set aside.
- In a liquid measuring cup, combine ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons cream and lemon extract, stirring until blended. Add to flour mixture, stirring until mixture comes together. (If dough seems dry, add more cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough is uniformly moist.) Working gently, bring mixture together with hands until a dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead lightly 4 to 5 times. Using a rolling pin, roll dough to a ¾-inch thickness. Using a 1¾-inch round cutter, cut 17 scones from dough, rerolling scraps as necessary. Place scones 2 inches apart on remaining prepared baking sheet. Brush tops of scones with remaining 1 tablespoon cream.
- Bake until edges of scones are golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in the centers comes out clean, 17 to 18 minutes.
TeaTime Magazine https://www.teatimemagazine.com/