Ginger preserves holds two delicately flavored lemon cookies together in Lemon Linzer Cookies with Ginger Preserves.
Lemon Linzer Cookies with Ginger Preserves
Write a review
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup salted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- ¾ cup ginger preserves*
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line several rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt, whisking well.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine butter and sugar. Beat at high speed with a mixer until light and fluffy, approximately 5 minutes. Add egg, vanilla extract, lemon extract, and lemon zest, beating until incorporated. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating until dough comes together.
- Place half of dough between 2 sheets of parchment paper or waxed paper. Using a rolling pin, roll dough to a ¼-inch thickness. Transfer dough and parchment paper to a another rimmed baking sheet, and freeze for 15 minutes. Repeat with remaining half of dough.
- Remove dough from freezer, and remove parchment paper from dough. Using a 2-inch fluted round cutter, cut 32 rounds from chilled dough. Place rounds 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets.
- Using a 2-inch fluted round cutter fitted with a diamond-shaped linzer cutter†, cut 32 rounds from chilled dough, and remove and discard centers. Place rounds 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake until edges of cookies are very light golden brown, approximately 10 minutes. Transfer cookies to wire racks, and let cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container with layers separated by waxed paper.
- Just before serving, spread a scant 1 teaspoon ginger preserves onto each whole cookie. Top with a cut-out cookie.
- *We used Mackays Ginger Preserves.
- †We used a Wilton round linzer cookie-cutter set.
TeaTime Magazine https://www.teatimemagazine.com/