These petite Lemon Macarons with Basil-Lemon Filling are delightful. Pictured with
- 3 large egg whites
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 cup sifted almond meal
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon lemon extract
- Lemon-yellow food coloring paste, such as Wilton
- 1 recipe Basil-Lemon Cream Cheese Filling (recipe follows)
- Place egg whites in a medium bowl, and let stand, uncovered, at room temperature, for exactly 3 hours.
- Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper. Using a pencil, draw 38 (1¾-inch) circles 2 inches apart on parchment paper. Turn parchment paper over.
- In the work bowl of a food processor, combine confectioners’ sugar, almond meal, and salt, pulsing just to combine.
- In a large mixing bowl and with a mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites at medium-high speed until thick, shiny, and creamy, approximately 5 minutes. Add lemon extract and desired amount of food coloring, beating until blended. Using a large spatula, fold in almond meal mixture until batter falls in thick ribbons. Let batter sit for 15 minutes.
- Transfer batter to a piping bag fitted with a medium round tip (Wilton #12). Pipe batter into drawn circles on prepared baking sheet.
- Slam pans vigorously on counter-tops 5 to 7 times to release air bubbles. Let stand at room temperature for 45 to 60 minutes before baking to help develop macaron’s signature crisp exterior when baked. (Macarons should feel dry to the touch and should not stick to finger.)
- Preheat oven to 275°.
- Bake until macarons are firm to the touch, approximately 20 minutes. Let cool completely on pans.
- Transfer macarons to an airtight container with layers separated by wax paper. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Place Basil-Lemon Cream Cheese Filling in a piping bag fitted with a medium round tip (Wilton #12). Pipe filling onto flat side of macaron, and top with another macaron, flat sides together. Push down lightly and twist so filling spreads to edges. Repeat with remaining macarons and filling.
- Serve immediately.
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- Leaf-green food coloring paste, such as Wilton
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar, and lemon zest. Beat at medium speed with a mixer until light and fluffy. Add desired amount of food coloring, beating until blended. Add basil, beating until combined.
- Use immediately.
From TeaTime, July/August 2017
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!