Fresh lemon zest and toasted walnuts flavor a delicious scone for springtime.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup plus 1 teaspoon granulated sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- ½ cup chopped toasted walnuts
- ¾ cup plus 1 tablespoon cold heavy whipping cream, divided
- ½ teaspoon lemon extract
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, ¼ cup sugar, lemon zest, baking powder, and salt, whisking well. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add walnuts, stirring to blend.
- In a liquid-measuring cup, combine ¾ cup cream, lemon extract, and vanilla extract, stirring to blend. Add to flour mixture, stirring until mixture is evenly moist. (If dough seems dry, add more cream, 1 tablespoon at a time.) Working gently, bring mixture together with hands until a dough forms.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead gently 4 to 5 times. Using a rolling pin, roll dough to a ¾-inch thickness. Using a 2¼-inch square cutter, cut 9 scones from dough. Place scones 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet.
- Brush tops of scones with remaining 1 tablespoon cream. Sprinkle remaining 1 teaspoon sugar on tops of scones.
- Bake until edges of scones are golden brown, approximately 20 minutes.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!