Let us show you how to take a basic pound cake recipe and turn it into Lime Petits Fours. Then graciously accept the compliments from your guests.
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup salted butter, softened
- 1¼ cups sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime zest
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- 1 recipe Buttercream Glaze (recipe follows)
- Garnish: sugared lime zest (see below)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray a 13-x-9-inch baking pan with nonstick baking spray with flour. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt, whisking well. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, 1 cup sugar, and lime zest at high speed with a mixer for 5 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Add sour cream, beating to blend.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating at low speed just until incorporated. Spread batter into prepared pan, smoothing with an offset spatula to create a level surface.
- Bake until cake is golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean, 25 to 28 minutes.
- While cake is baking, in a small bowl, combine lime juice and remaining ¼ cup sugar, stirring until sugar dissolves. When cake is done, remove from oven, and pierce all over with a wooden skewer. Pour lime juice mixture over cake. Let cake cool completely in pan.
- Using a 1½-inch hexagonal cutter, cut shapes from cake. Place cake shapes on a wire cooling rack set over a rimmed baking sheet. Pour Buttercream Glaze over cake shapes, covering completely and using an offset spatula, if needed, to spread glaze over cake shapes.
- Refrigerate petits fours on a wire rack for 2 hours to let glaze set. Once glaze sets, transfer petits fours to an airtight container, and refrigerate until serving time.
- Garnish with sugared lime zest just before serving, if desired.
- • Petits fours can be made a day in advance and refrigerated until serving time. Garnish with sugared lime zest just before serving.
- • To make sugared lime zest, toss ½ cup lime zest with 1 cup granulated sugar. Transfer mixture to a fine-mesh sieve, and shake to remove excess sugar.
- ½ cup salted butter, softened
- 3 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 1½ cups heavy whipping cream
- In a large bowl, beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Add confectioners’ sugar in thirds, alternately with cream, beating until smooth. Use immediately.
From TeaTime March/April 2014
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!