Flavored with salted macadamia nuts and shredded coconut, these Macadamia-Coconut Scones are a delicious tropical treat.
- ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons canned coconut milk
- 1 vanilla bean pod, split, scraped, and seeds reserved
- ¼ teaspoon coconut extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup organic granulated cane sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut in pieces
- ⅓ cup unsweetened shredded coconut, such as Bob’s Red Mill
- ⅓ cup chopped salted macadamia nuts
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- Garnish: additional organic granulated cane sugar
- In a small saucepan, heat coconut milk over medium-high heat, whisking until fat layer is combined. Add reserved vanilla-bean seeds, stirring to blend. Cook until very hot, but not boiling. Remove from heat. Add coconut extract, stirring until combined. Cover, and refrigerate until very cold, approximately 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt, whisking well. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add coconut and macadamia nuts, stirring well.
- Add cold coconut milk mixture to flour mixture, stirring until mixture is evenly moist. (If mixture seems dry, add more coconut milk, 1 tablespoon at a time.) Working gently, bring mixture together with hands until a dough forms.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead gently 4 to 5 times. Using a rolling pin, roll dough to a ¾-inch thickness. Using a 2¼-inch round cutter, cut 10 scones from dough, rerolling scraps as necessary. Place scones 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet.
- Brush tops of scones with egg white.
- Garnish tops of scones with a heavy sprinkle of additional sugar, if desired.
- Bake until edges are golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in the centers comes out clean, approximately 20 minutes.
Coconut milk mixture can be made a day in advance, placed in a covered container, and refrigerated until ready to assemble scones.
Mock Clotted Cream
Serves: 1 cup
- 1 cup cold heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup mascarpone cheese
- 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine cream, mascarpone cheese, and confectioners’ sugar. Beat at high speed with a mixer until combined and thick.
- Refrigerate until needed, up to 3 days.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!