Lemon zest and roasted macadamia nuts flavor a delicious gluten-free scone.
Yield: 20 scones • Preparation: 20 minutes • Bake: 15 minutes
Write a review
- 1½ cups gluten-free all-purpose flour*
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- 1¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold salted butter, cut into pieces
- ⅓ cup chopped salted, roasted macadamia nuts
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon whole buttermilk
- ½ teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- Clotted cream (optional)
- Lemon curd (optional)
- Garnish: lemon curls
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, lemon zest, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, whisking well. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add macadamia nuts, stirring to combine. Set aside.
- In a measuring cup, combine buttermilk and lemon extract. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture, stirring by hand until a dough forms. (Dough should be very soft and wet. If dough seems dry, add more buttermilk, 1 tablespoon at a time, until uniformly moist.) Using hands, continue to bring dough together in bowl.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead 3 to 4 times. With a rolling pin, roll dough to a ½-inch thickness. Using a 1¾-inch cutter, cut 20 rounds, rerolling scraps as necessary. Place scones 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Brush tops of scones lightly with milk.
- Bake until edges are golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in the centers of scones comes out clean, 13 to 15 minutes.
- Serve warm with clotted cream and lemon curd, if desired.
- Garnish with lemon curls, if desired.
- *We used Glutino brand gluten-free all-purpose flour, which is available at glutino.com and at some Whole Foods Markets.
TeaTime Magazine https://www.teatimemagazine.com/
From TeaTime November/December 2013
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!