Mini Coconut Cupcakes
- ½ cup salted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ cups cake flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 1½ teaspoons coconut extract
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 recipe Vanilla Buttercream (recipe follows)
- Garnish: edible gold dust, pearl dragées*
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line the wells of a 48-well mini cupcake pan with mini baking cups.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine butter and sugar. Beat at high speed with a mixer until light and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt, whisking well.
- In a small bowl, combine sour cream, milk, coconut extract, and vanilla extract, whisking to blend. Add flour mixture to butter mixture in thirds, alternately with milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Using a levered 2-teaspoon scoop, divide batter among wells of prepared pan.
- Bake until cupcakes are lightly browned and a wooden pick inserted in the centers comes out clean, 11 to 12 minutes. Let cupcakes cool completely before removing from pan.
- Place Vanilla Buttercream in a piping bag fitted with a large star tip (Wilton #1). Placing star tip perpendicular to cupcake tops, pipe buttercream onto cupcakes.
- Just before serving, garnish with a dusting of edible gold dust and a few dragées, if desired.
*We used Wilton Pearl Dust in Gold and Betty Crocker Pearls Cupcake Gems.
Yield: 3 cups
- 5 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 cup salted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- In a large mixing bowl, combine confectioners’ sugar, butter, milk, vanilla extract, and salt. Starting at low speed and gradually increasing to high, beat with a mixer until combined and fluffy.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your copy of TeaTime, May/June 2016 today!