Fresh herbs makes these lively Mini Dilled Scones a delectable treat.
Mini Dilled Scones
Yield: 20 mini scones • Preparation: 25 minutes • Bake: 18 minutes
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill
- 4 tablespoons cold salted butter, cut into pieces
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon cold heavy whipping cream, divided
- ⅓ cup small-curd cottage cheese
- Clotted cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar, dried onion, salt, and pepper, whisking well. Add dill to flour mixture, whisking well.
- Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add ½ cup cream and cottage cheese to flour mixture, stirring to combine. (If dough seems dry, add more cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough is uniformly moist.) Working gently, bring mixture together with hands until a dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead lightly 3 to 4 times. Using a rolling pin, roll dough to a ½-inch thickness. Using a 1½-inch square cutter, cut 20 scones from dough. Place scones 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet. Brush tops of scones with remaining 1 tablespoon cream.
- Bake until edges of scones are golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in the centers comes out clean, approximately 18 minutes.
- Serve with clotted cream, if desired.
Kitchen Tip: To easily chop dill very finely, place in a small bowl and snip with kitchen scissors.
From TeaTime March/April 2014