Dijon mustard adds satisfying flavor to classic chicken salad in Mustard Chicken Salad Tea Sandwiches.
Mustard Chicken Salad Tea Sandwiches
- 4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (32-ounce) container unsalted chicken stock
- 3 (6-inch) stalks celery
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- ⅔ cup whole-grain mustard*
- ⅓ cup Dijon mustard*
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 16 slices thin honey wheat sandwich bread, frozen
- 2 cups loosely packed baby arugula
- In a large skillet, bring chicken stock to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low, and add chicken, celery stalks, and bay leaf. Cover and simmer until chicken is no longer pink, approximately 30 minutes. Remove chicken, and coarsely chop.
- In the work bowl of a food processor, pulse chicken until finely chopped.
- In a large bowl, stir together chicken, chopped celery, and almonds until combined.
- In a medium bowl, stir together mayonnaise, mustards, salt, and pepper until well blended. Add to chicken mixture, stirring until chicken is well coated.
- Spread a thick, even layer of chicken salad onto 8 frozen bread slices. Top each with remaining frozen bread slices to make 8 whole sandwiches.
- Using a serrated bread knife in a gentle sawing motion, trim and discard crusts from sandwiches, cutting enough crust and bread away to create a perfect square. Cut each sandwich diagonally into 4 triangles.
- Remove a bread triangle from each sandwich. Top chicken salad layer with arugula, and cover with bread triangles. Serve immediately, or cover with damp paper towels, place in a covered container, and refrigerate for a few hours until serving time.
*We used Maille Old Style Mustard and Grey Poupon Dijon Mustard.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!