Delicious Oat & Wheat Scones with hints of brown sugar.
Oat & Wheat Scones
Write a review
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup quick-cooking oats
- ⅓ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold salted butter, cut into pieces
- ½ cup plus 3 tablespoons cold heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt, whisking well. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a liquid-measuring cup, combine ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons cream and egg, whisking to blend. Add to flour mixture, stirring until mixture is evenly moist. (If dough seems dry, add more cream, 1 tablespoon at a time.) Working gently, bring mixture together with hands until a dough forms.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and knead gently 4 to 5 times. Using a rolling pin, roll dough to a ¾-inch thickness. Using a 2-inch square cutter, cut 12 scones from dough. Place scones 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet. Brush tops of scones with remaining 1 tablespoon cream.
- Bake until edges of scones are golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in the centers comes out clean, approximately 12 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
- Recommended Condiments: Clotted Cream, Red Currant Jam
TeaTime Magazine https://www.teatimemagazine.com/
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your copy of TeaTime, March/April 2016 today!