These scones are especially good when paired with Pomegranate Oolong Tea.
Onion-Poppy Seed Scones
Write a review
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup sliced sweet onion
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold salted butter, cut into pieces
- 3 teaspoons poppy seeds, divided
- ¾ cup whole buttermilk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon water
- Garnish: grape halves
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a small skillet, heat unsalted butter and olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft and very lightly browned, approximately 10 minutes. (Reduce heat if onion begins to brown too quickly.) Let onion cool, then finely chop. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt, whisking well. Using a pastry blender, cut salted butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add caramelized onion and 1 teaspoon poppy seeds, stirring to combine. Add buttermilk, stirring until a soft dough forms. (If dough seems dry, add more buttermilk, 1 tablespoon at a time, until uniformly moist.)
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead gently 3 to 4 times. Using a rolling pin, roll dough to a ¾-inch thickness. Using a 2-inch fluted round cutter, cut 13 rounds from dough, rerolling scraps as necessary. Place scones 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, combine egg and water. Brush tops of scones with egg mixture. Sprinkle with remaining 2 teaspoons poppy seeds, if desired.
- Bake until edges of scones are golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in the centers comes out clean, approximately 9 minutes.
- Serve warm.
- Garnish individual servings with grape halves, if desired.
TeaTime Magazine https://www.teatimemagazine.com/
We featured the recipe for these Onion-Poppy Seed Scones in one of the Hanukkah teas from our Teatime Holidays special edition.