Garnished with kumquats and fresh rosemary, Orange-Glazed Pound Cake, the cover cake from our November/December 2014 issue, is a fabulous Christmas dessert.
Orange-Glazed Pound Cake
Serves: 12 to 14 Servings
- 1 cup salted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups sifted cake flour, such as Swans Down
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 recipe Orange Glaze (recipe follows)
- Garnish: fresh rosemary, Candied Orange Curls (recipe follows), and kumquats
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Spray a 6-cup Bundt pan with nonstick baking spray with flour. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter at high speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Add sugar, and beat until light and creamy, approximately 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add orange zest, vanilla extract, and almond extract, beating to combine.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt, whisking well. Add flour mixture to butter mixture in thirds, alternately with sour cream, beating at low speed until incorporated. Pour batter into prepared pan, smoothing top with a spatula and tapping cake pan on countertop to settle batter and reduce air bubbles.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in the center of cake comes out clean, 45 to 47 minues. Let cake cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Using a serrated bread knife, cut dome off of cake so that cake will sit level once unmolded and inverted. Turn cake out onto a wire cooling rack, and let cool completely.
- Place a rimmed pan under wire cooling rack. Pour Orange Glaze over cake. Let glaze dry completely.
- Garnish with fresh rosemary, Candied Orange Curls, and kumquats, if desired.
Cake can be baked a week in advance, wrapped tightly in plastic wrap, placed in an airtight container, and frozen. Let thaw completely before glazing. Candied Orange Curls can be made a day in advance.
Serves: 1 cup
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange zest
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice (pulp removed)
- In a medium bowl, combine confectioners’ sugar, orange zest, and orange juice, whisking until smooth. Use immediately.
Candied Orange Curls
Serves: 4 (10-inch) lengths
- 2 large oranges
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- Using a channel knife, cut long strips from orange peel.
- In a medium saucepan, bring water and sugar just to a simmer over medium-high heat, whisking to dissolve sugar. Add orange peel, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Using tongs, remove orange peel from syrup mixture. Lay flat on a wire cooling rack. Let stand overnight to dry.
- The next day, wind orange peel around a drinking straw to curl. Snip into desired lengths, and use to garnish cake.
From TeaTime November/December 2014