Toothsome Orange, Pecan & Pear Scones are delightful when paired with a cup of tea.
Orange, Pecan & Pear Scones
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh orange zest
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 cup cold heavy whipping cream, divided
- ½ ripe but firm pear*, peeled and diced (¼-inch)
- Garnish: sparkling sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, orange zest, salt, cardamom, and cinnamon. Using a pastry blender or 2 forks, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add pecans, stirring well. Gradually add ¾ cup cream, stirring well with a fork. Add pear, stirring until combined. Add 3 tablespoons cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Working gently, bring mixture together with hands until a dough forms.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and gently knead 4 to 5 times. Using a rolling pin, roll out dough to a 1-inch thickness. Using a floured 2¼-inch round cutter, cut 9 scones from dough, rerolling scraps once. Place scones 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet. Brush tops of scones with remaining 1 tablespoon cream. Garnish with sparkling sugar, if desired.
- Bake until scones are golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve warm.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!