These Papaya-Lime Scones are full of fruity flavors that beckon thoughts of summertime.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime zest
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold salted butter, cut into pieces
- ¾ cup chopped dried papaya, divided
- 1 cup cold heavy whipping cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 recipe Lime Glaze (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, lime zest, and salt, whisking well. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add papaya, reserving 2 tablespoons papaya for scone centers.
- In a liquid-measuring cup, combine cream and vanilla extract, stirring to blend. Add to flour mixture, stirring until mixture is evenly moist. (If dough seems dry, add more cream, 1 tablespoon at a time.) Working gently, bring mixture together with hands until a dough forms.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead gently 4 to 5 times. Using a rolling pin, roll dough to a ½-inch thickness. Using a 2½-inch flower-shaped cutter, cut 11 scones from dough, rerolling scraps as necessary. Place scones 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet. Press an indentation into centers of scones with thumb.
- Bake until edges of scones are golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in the centers comes out clean, approximately 20 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack.
- Spoon Lime Glaze over scones. Divide reserved chopped papaya among centers of scones. Let glaze dry on scones before serving, approximately 1 hour.
Recommended Condiments: Clotted Cream, Lemon Curd