Get a taste of the tropics with our Pineapple-Coconut Tartlets.
Yield: 8 tartlets
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1¼ cups canned coconut milk
- ⅛ teaspoon coconut extract
- ¼ cup sweetened flaked coconut, toasted
- 1 (20-ounce) can pineapple slices in heavy syrup
- 8 (3.15-inch) shortbread tartlet shells, such as Clearbrook Farms
- Garnish: additional toasted coconut, fresh mint
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, flour, salt, coconut milk, and coconut extract, whisking to blend. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly until mixture thickens. Transfer to a bowl, and let cool slightly, whisking occasionally. Place plastic wrap on surface of coconut cream, and refrigerate until cold, approximately 4 hours.
- Add coconut to cold coconut cream, stirring to combine. Divide coconut cream evenly among tartlet shells.
- Cut each pineapple slice into 8 equal wedges, reserving heavy syrup. Arrange pineapple wedges on top of coconut cream, creating 2 layers per tartlet shell (6 wedges on bottom layer and 4 wedges on top layer). Brush pineapple with reserved heavy syrup.
- Garnish tartlet centers with additional toasted coconut and fresh mint, if desired.
Make-Ahead Tip: Coconut cream can be made a day in advance and refrigerated in a covered container. Tartlets can be assembled and held in the refrigerator, lightly covered, for up to 2 hours before serving.
From TeaTime, July/August 2015
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!