Celebrate the season with this fluffy Pineapple-Filled White Layer Cake.
Pineapple-Filled White Layer Cake
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons whole milk
- 3 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 recipe Pineapple Filling (recipe follows)
- 1 recipe Fluffy White Frosting (recipe follows)
- 1 (8-ounce) can pineapple slices, drained (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray 3 (6-inch) round cake pans with baking spray with flour.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine butter and ½ cup sugar. Beat at high speed with a mixer until light and fluffy, approximately 5 minutes. Add vanilla extract, beating to combine.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt, whisking well. Add flour mixture to butter mixture in thirds, alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- In another medium mixing bowl, beat egg whites at high speed with a mixer until frothy. Slowly add remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, continuing to beat until soft peaks form.
- Gently fold egg whites into cake batter until incorporated. Divide mixture evenly among prepared cake pans. Using an offset spatula, smooth cake batter in pans.
- Bake until edges of cake layers are golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in the centers comes out clean, approximately 13 minutes. Let cake layers cool in pans for 10 minutes. Invert onto wire cooling racks, and let cool completely.
- Place a cake layer on a cake plate, and spread layer with half of Pineapple Filling. Top with another cake layer, and spread with remaining half of filling. Top with remaining cake layer.
- Refrigerate cake until filling is firm, approximately 1 hour.
- Using an offset spatula to create decorative swirls, spread Fluffy White Frosting over sides and top of cake.
- Cut pineapple slices into halves or thirds, and arrange on top of cake in overlapping concentric circles to resemble a flower, if desired.
Yield: ¾ cup
- 1 (8.25-ounce) can crushed pineapple in heavy syrup
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium saucepan, combine pineapple with syrup, sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Cook over medium heat until mixture begins to simmer. Reduce heat to low, and cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and add butter and vanilla extract, stirring until butter melts.
Fluffy White Frosting
Yield: 2 cups
- ½ cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 egg white, at room temperature
- In the top half of a double boiler set over simmering water, combine sugar, cream of tartar, salt, water, and egg white. (Do not let bottom of bowl touch water.) Beat at high speed with a mixer until frosting thickens and forms stiff peaks, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Use immediately.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!