Topped with a pink sparkling sugar, these toothsome Pink Lady Scones taste just as good as they look.
Pink Lady Scones
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 cup (¼-inch) diced Pink Lady apples
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon cold heavy whipping cream, divided
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons pink sparkling sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, salt, and cloves. Using a pastry blender or 2 forks, cut in cold butter until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add apples, stirring well.
- In a small bowl, stir together 1 cup cold cream and vanilla extract. Add cream mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Working gently, bring mixture together with hands until a dough forms. (If dough seems dry, add more cream, 1 tablespoon at a time.)
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and gently knead 4 to 5 times. Using a rolling pin, roll out dough to a 1-inch thickness. Using a 1¾-inch round cutter dipped in flour, cut 14 scones from dough, rerolling scraps as necessary. Place scones 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet. Brush tops of scones with remaining 1 tablespoon cold cream, and sprinkle with sparkling sugar.
- Bake until scones are golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean, 17 to 20 minutes. Let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes. Serve warm.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!