These Pistachio-Cardamom Scones are a delicious afternoon tea treat.
- 2½ cups pastry flour, such as King Arthur
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange zest
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold salted butter, cut into pieces
- ½ cup chopped roasted and salted pistachios
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons cold heavy whipping cream, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, orange zest, baking powder, cardamom, and salt, whisking well. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add pistachios, stirring well.
- Add 1 cup cream to flour mixture, stirring until mixture is evenly moist. (If dough seems dry, add more cream, 1 tablespoon at a time.) Working gently, bring mixture together with hands until a dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead 3 to 4 times. Using a rolling pin, roll dough to a ½-inch thickness. Using a 1½-inch round cutter, cut 48 scones from dough, rerolling scraps as necessary.
- Place scones 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Brush tops of scones with remaining 2 tablespoons cream.
- Bake until edges of scones are golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in the centers comes out clean, approximately 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Recommended Condiments: Faux Clotted Cream, Lemon Curd, and Orange Marmalade
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!