Makes 40 candies
- 2½ cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- ½ cup water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 40 whole roasted salted pistachios
- Line 2 baking sheets with wax paper. Lightly spray with cooking spray. Lightly spray 2 teaspoons with cooking spray.
- In a large heavy-bottom stainless steel saucepan, stir together sugar, corn syrup, ½ cup water, and salt. Cook over medium heat, without stirring, until a candy thermometer registers 256°. (When thermometer is near 256° begin beating egg whites.)
- In a large bowl of a stand mixer, beat egg whites at medium speed until foamy. Add vanilla extract and cream of tartar, and beat at high speed until stiff peaks form. Add hot sugar syrup to egg white mixture in a thin, steady stream, beating until mixture holds its shapes and begins to lose its glossy appearance, approximately 5 minutes.
- Using prepared spoons, immediately drop mixture by rounded teaspoonfuls onto prepared baking sheets. Press a pistachio on top of each mound. Let stand until dry before removing from baking sheets, approximately 6 hours.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature with layers separated by wax paper until ready to serve.