These delicious Pistachio-Orange Blondies can be made a day in advance and stored well in an airtight container at room temperature. Pictured with No-Bake Lemon-Blueberry-Basil Tartlets.
Yield: 24 blondies • Preparation: 25 minutes • Bake: 20 minutes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange zest
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ cup salted butter, softened
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¾ cup finely chopped roasted, salted pistachios, divided
- 1 teaspoon turbinado sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line a 13-x-9-inch baking pan with aluminum foil, letting foil hang over edges of pan (to create handles). Spray with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, orange zest, baking powder, salt, and cardamom, whisking well. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine butter and brown sugar. Beat at medium speed with a mixer until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla extract, beating to combine. Add ½ cup pistachios, stirring to blend. Spread batter into prepared pan, smoothing with an offset spatula to create a level surface. Sprinkle evenly with remaining ¼ cup pistachios and turbinado sugar.
- Bake until edges are golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean, approximately 20 minutes. (Do not overbake, or blondie will become hard.)
- Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Using foil handles, remove blondie from pan, and let cool completely on a wire rack. Remove blondie from foil. Trim and discard edges of blondie. Cut into 24 pieces.
Make-Ahead Tip: These blondies can be baked a week in advance and frozen in an airtight container.
From TeaTime March/April 2010