What’s not to love about individual pizza pastries in the shape of Christmas trees?
Pizza Christmas Tree Pastries
- ½ (17.3-ounce) package frozen puff pastry, thawed (1 sheet)
- 2 tablespoons prepared pizza sauce
- ¼ cup cooked ground beef
- 3 tablespoons shredded mozzarella cheese, chopped
- 1½ tablespoons finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 12 (6-inch) wooden skewers
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh green onion (green parts only), divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, unfold puff pastry sheet. Using a rolling pin, roll out puff pastry to a 14×10-inch rectangle. Using a sharp knife, cut a 14×6-inch rectangle and a 14×4-inch rectangle from puff pastry.
- Using an offset spatula, spread pizza sauce onto 14×6-inch rectangle, leaving a ⅛-inch border at short ends. Sprinkle with beef and mozzarella cheese. Using a pastry wheel, cut dough lengthwise into ½-inch-wide strips. Working with one strip at a time, fold pastry back and forth accordion-style, creating a triangular tree shape. Insert a skewer through center of base through top of triangle to secure strip. Repeat with remaining puff pastry strips.
- Place pastry triangles 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle pastry triangles with 1 tablespoon green onion and 1 tablespoon parsley.
- From remaining 14×4-inch puff pastry rectangle, cut 12 (2×1-inch) rectangles using a paring knife and 24 stars using a 1-inch star-shaped cutter.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and water. Brush 1 rectangle and 2 stars with egg mixture, and place a small dot of egg mixture at top and at center base of tree. Place rectangle, egg wash side up, under skewer at base of tree. (Long edges of rectangle should be parallel to tree base.) Fold rectangle over skewer end to form a square. Gently press square to adhere to base of tree, centering as needed. Place a star, egg wash side up, under skewer at top of tree. Cover skewer and star with other star, egg wash side down, alining points of stars. Press stars together gently to adhere to each other and top of tree. Lightly brush star and tree trunk with egg mixture. Repeat process with remaining rectangles, stars, and egg mixture on remaining puff pastry trees. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bake until pastry edges are golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool on baking sheet for approximately 10 minutes. Transfer puff pastry trees to a wire rack. When cool enough to handle, gently remove skewers from trees.
- Garnish pastries with remaining 1 tablespoon green onion and remaining 1 tablespoon parsley, if desired. Serve within an hour.