In Pies Before Guys by Kristen Weiss, a crime-solving club digs into a piping hot new case! A poetry slam at a bakery? Why not! Even though Pie Town proprietor Val Harris would rather be spending time with her newfound half brother, she knows her employee Abril is beyond excited to be hosting the event, especially since it stars the apple pie of Abril’s eye, poet and professor Michael Starke. But the evening ends on a sour note when Professor Starke is found murdered mere moments after being accused of plagiarism.
Just like that, Pie Town is at the center of another criminal inquiry. At Abril’s request—and much to Detective Carmichael’s consternation—Val and Charlene decide to investigate Starke’s death. But the case is as tough as an overworked crust, and the amateur detectives of the Baker Street Bakers are only coming up with scraps. If they don’t pinch the cultured killer soon, Pie Town’s reputation could crumble. Grab a cozy seat to enjoy Pies Before Guys with a cup of your favorite black tea and a slice of this Chocolate Cream Pie! Get the decadent recipe below!
When Val makes a chocolate cream pie for herself, at home, she goes full chocolate crust. Here’s her private chocolate crust recipe.
- 25 cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookies*
- 5 tablespoons melted butter
- ½ cup unsweetened chocolate chips, plus more for topping
- 1 (14-oz can) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Garnish: chocolate sprinkles (optional)
- Pulse cookies in a food processor until white filling disappears. Drizzle melted butter over crumbs, and mix.
- Pour the crumbs into a pie plate, and press into a crust shape with your fingers.
- In a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl, microwave chocolate chips at half power in 30-second intervals, stirring between each, until chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Add sweetened condensed milk to the chocolate, and stir. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat heavy whipping cream, slowly adding powdered sugar and vanilla, until stiff peaks form.
- Fold half of whipped cream mixture into the chocolate mixture. Fold mixture into prepared piecrust. Top the pie with remaining whipped cream. Garnish with chocolate sprinkles, if desired.
- Chill pie for at least 2 hours before serving. Store, loosely covered, in the refrigerator.
About the Author
Kirsten Weiss has never met a dessert she didn’t like, and her guilty pleasures are watching Ghost Whisperer reruns and drinking red wine. The latter gives her heartburn, but she drinks it anyway. She is based in San Mateo, California, and writes genre-blending cozy mystery, supernatural, and steampunk suspense, mixing her experiences and imagination to create vivid worlds of fun and enchantment. Kirsten sends out original short stories of mystery and magic to her mailing list. If you’d like to get them delivered straight to your inbox, sign up for her newsletter at KirstenWeiss.com.