Poppy seeds add a bit of crunch to these Poppyseed-Orange Scones.
Yield: 12 scones • Preparation: 25 minutes • Bake: 13 minutes
- 2 cups cake flour, such as Swans Down
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange zest
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold salted butter, cut into pieces
- ¾ cup plus 1 tablespoon cold heavy whipping cream, divided
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, orange zest, baking powder, poppy seeds, and salt, whisking well. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a liquid measuring cup, combine ¾ cup cream and vanilla extract, stirring to blend. Add cream mixture to flour mixture, stirring until dough is moistened. (If dough seems dry, add more cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough is uniformly moist.) Working gently, bring mixture together with hands until a dough forms.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead gently 4 to 5 times. Using a rolling pin, roll dough to a ¾-inch thickness. Using a 2-inch fluted round cutter, cut 12 scones from dough. Place scones 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet. Brush scones with remaining 1 tablespoon cream.
- Bake until edges are golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in the centers comes out clean, approximately 13 minutes. Serve warm.
From TeaTime March/April 2015
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!