These tasty Prosciutto-Asparagus Canapés are a delightful savory for teatime. Prosciutto-Asparagus Canapés pictured with Heirloom Tomato Bruschetta.
- 2¼ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- ½ teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 7 very thin slices white bread, frozen
- ¼ pound thinly sliced prosciutto
- Garnish: fresh tarragon leaves
- Fill a large stockpot three-fourths with water. Add 2 teaspoons salt, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat; add asparagus. Boil asparagus until bright green and tender, 2 to 3 minutes; drain asparagus, and transfer to an ice water bath to stop the cooking process. Let cool completely. Drain.
- Using a mandoline set to 1/16-inch, carefully slice asparagus spears lengthwise. Discard first and last slice of each asparagus spear.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cream cheese, tarragon, lemon zest, and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt. Spread cream cheese mixture onto frozen bread slices.
- Cut prosciutto into slices the same width as asparagus. Alternately place asparagus slices and prosciutto slices diagonally onto cream cheese mixture. Using a chef’s knife in a gentle sawing motion, trim and discard crusts from bread. Cut each canapé in half diagonally. Cover with damp paper towels, and let thaw before serving.
- Garnish with tarragon, if desired.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!