Canned pumpkin is the base for this easy soup, which gets wonderful complexity from yellow bell pepper, Parmesan cheese, and rosemary and a velvety texture from heavy cream.
Pumpkin-Bell Pepper Soup
Serves: approximately 8 (½-cup) servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- ½ cup diced yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1¾ cups vegetable broth, divided
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- Garnish: sour cream, roasted salted pepitas, and fresh rosemary
- In a medium Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until onion is translucent and bell pepper is slightly caramelized, approximately 10 minutes. Stir in 1½ cups broth, pumpkin, cheese, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Partially cover Dutch oven, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook until slightly simmering, approximately 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove soup from heat, and let cool for 10 minutes. Discard rosemary sprig.
- Transfer soup to the container of a blender, and process until smooth. Using a fine-mesh sieve, strain soup back into Dutch oven, discarding any solids. Whisk in cream and remaining ¼ cup vegetable stock until incorporated. Cook over medium heat until soup begins to simmer again, approximately 15 minutes.
- Garnish individual servings with sour cream, pepitas, and rosemary, if desired. Serve immediately.
Make-Ahead Tip: Soup can be prepared a day in advance, strained, placed in an airtight container, and refrigerated. Gently reheat soup in Dutch oven on stovetop before adding cream and remaining ¼ cup vegetable stock. Simmer for approximately 15 minutes. Garnish individual servings.