These sweet Pumpkin-Cranberry scones perfectly capture the iconic flavors of fall.
Yield: 16 scones • Preparation: 20 minutes • Bake: 15 minutes
Write a review
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 6 tablespoons cold salted butter, cut into pieces
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup canned pumpkin
- ½ cup whole buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Spray wells of 2 (8-well) cast-iron wedge pans with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves, whisking well. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add cranberries, stirring to blend. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine pumpkin, buttermilk, 1 egg, and vanilla extract, stirring to blend. Add pumpkin mixture to flour mixture, stirring until combined. (If mixture seems dry, add more buttermilk, 1 tablespoon at a time, until uniformly moist.)
- Divide dough evenly among wells of prepared pans. Using wet fingers, evenly pat dough into wells. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining egg and milk, whisking to blend. Brush lightly onto each scone. Sprinkle evenly with turbinado sugar.
- Bake until scones are golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in the centers comes out clean, 15 to 17 minutes.
- Serve warm, or let cool on a wire rack to serve later.
TeaTime Magazine https://www.teatimemagazine.com/