These toothsome Pumpkin & Walnut Scones are filled with the delicious flavors of fall.
Pumpkin & Walnut Scones
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 cup finely chopped toasted walnuts
- ¼ cup canned pumpkin
- ¼ cup cold whole buttermilk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. Using a pastry blender or 2 forks, cut in cold butter until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add walnuts, pumpkin, and buttermilk, stirring until a dough begins to form. Bring mixture together with hands until a dough forms. (If mixture seems dry and won’t hold together, add more buttermilk, 1 tablespoon at a time.)
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and gently knead until smooth, 5 to 7 times. Using a rolling pin, roll out dough to a ¾-inch thickness. Using a 1¼-inch fluted round cutter, cut 14 scones from dough, rerolling scraps as necessary.
- Place scones 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet. Brush beaten egg on tops of scones, and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake until edges of scones are golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean, 16 to 18 minutes. Serve warm.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!