Paper-thin radish slices cut with a mandoline, gently folded, and arranged like petals of blooming flowers sit atop bread rounds spread with a delicious mixture of goat and cream cheeses with five types of fresh herbs. Pictured with our Steak au Poivre Tea Sandwiches.
Radish Flower Canapés
- 2 ounces goat cheese, room temperature
- 2 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- ½ tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- ½ tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill
- ½ tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
- ½ teaspoon finely chopped fresh tarragon
- ¼ teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- ⅛ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 slices firm white sandwich bread, frozen
- 8 large radishes
- Garnish: freshly ground pink peppercorns
- In a small bowl, stir together goat cheese, cream cheese, and heavy cream until combined and smooth. Stir in parsley, dill, chives, tarragon, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Using a 2-inch fluted round cutter, cut 8 rounds from frozen bread. Cover bread rounds with damp paper towels to prevent drying out, and let thaw at room temperature.
- Spread goat cheese mixture in a thin, even layer onto bread rounds.
- Using a mandoline*, shave 64 paper-thin crosswise slices from radishes. (For best results, radish slices should be approximately the same diameter and are best taken from widest sections of radishes.) Fold each slice in half and then into quarters without creasing slices. Place 8 folded radish slices on top of each bread round, arranging to resemble a flower. Gently press flower into goat cheese mixture to adhere. Serve immediately, or place in a container, lightly covered with damp paper towels, and refrigerate for up to 1 hour.
- Just before serving, garnish with freshly ground pink peppercorns, if desired.
Make-Ahead Tip: Frozen bread rounds can be cut several hours in advance and stored in a resealable plastic bag at room temperature.