These Radish Ruffle Canapés are simple and delicious.
Radish Ruffle Canapés
Radish Ruffle Canapés • Yield: 12 canapés • Preparation: 35 minutes
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, softened
- ½ teaspoon ground pink peppercorns
- 3 slices firm white sandwich bread, such as Pepperidge Farm
- 4 medium radishes
- Garnish: additional ground pink peppercorns
- In a small bowl, combine butter and peppercorns, stirring to blend. Set aside.
- Using a 1½-inch round cutter, cut 12 rounds from bread. Spread peppercorn butter onto one side of each bread round. Set aside.
- Using a mandoline, shave 48 paper-thin slices from radishes. Fold each slice in half and then into quarters. Place 4 folded slices radish on top of each buttered bread round, arranging to resemble a flower.
- Garnish each canapé with additional ground pink peppercorns, if desired.
- Make-ahead tip: Butter can be made a day in advance and refrigerated in a covered container. Let come to room temperature before using. Bread rounds can be cut a day in advance and stored in resealable plastic bags. Canapés can be assembled an hour before serving. Drape with damp paper towels, and refrigerate until needed.
Kitchen Tip: A mandoline is essential in creating paper-thin radish slices.
From TeaTime March/April 2010