These toothsome Raisin, Rum & Spice Scones incorporate the best flavors of the holiday season into one delicious bite.
Raisin, Rum & Spice Scones
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup unsalted cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup raisins
- ¾ cup plus 1 tablespoon cold heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugars, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt. Using a pastry blender or 2 forks, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add raisins, stirring well.
- In a small bowl, whisk together ¾ cup cream and rum extract. Add to flour mixture, stirring until dry ingredients are moistened. Working gently, bring mixture together with hands until a dough forms.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and gently knead 4 to 5 times until a smooth dough forms. Using a rolling pin, roll out dough to a ¾-inch thickness. Using a floured 2-inch fluted round cutter, cut 16 scones from dough. Place scones 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets.
- In a small bowl, whisk together remaining 1 tablespoon cream and egg. Brush tops of scones with egg mixture.
- Bake until edges of scones are golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean, 15 to 18 minutes. Serve warm.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!