These Raspberry-Poppy Seed Scones are a delightful treat for teatime.
Raspberry-Poppy Seed Scones
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon poppy seeds
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- ¼ cup cold cream cheese, cubed
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon freeze-dried raspberries, crushed
- ¾ cup plus 1 tablespoon cold heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, poppy seeds, and salt. Using a pastry blender or 2 forks, cut in cold butter and cold cream cheese until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in freeze-dried raspberries. Add ¾ cup cold cream, stirring until a dough begins to form. (If mixture seems dry, add more cream, 1 tablespoon at a time.)
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and knead gently 4 to 5 times until a smooth dough forms. Using a rolling pin, roll out dough to a ½-inch thickness. Using a 2-inch fluted round cutter, cut 16 scones from dough, rerolling scraps as necessary. Place on prepared baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and remaining 1 tablespoon cold cream. Brush tops of scones with egg wash.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean, approximately 15 minutes. Serve warm.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!