The petite Reuben Canapés are great any time of the year.
Yield: 24 canapés • Preparation: 30 minutes • Cook: 4 to 6 minutes • Broil: 1 to 2 minutes
- 12 slices rye bread
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 30 very thin slices deli corned beef
- 24 thin slices Swiss cheese
- 1½ cups sauerkraut, well drained
- Garnish: corned beef rosettes*
- Preheat broiler.
- Using a 2¼-inch round cutter, cut 24 rounds from bread slices. Discard scraps.
- Heat a nonstick sauté pan over medium-high heat. Place bread rounds in pan, and toast on each side until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and horseradish, whisking well.
- Spread ½ teaspoon mayonnaise mixture on 1 side of each toasted bread round. Top each bread round with a corned beef slice in a ruffled pattern. Top each with a cheese slice.
- Place canapés on a broiler pan.Broil just until cheese melts, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Divide sauerkraut evenly among canapés.
- Garnish each canapé with a corned beef rosette, if desired.
*Roll 2-x-¼-inch pieces of corned beef into cylinders, flaring out edges to create rosettes.