Vibrant horseradish and herbaceous tarragon in the sour cream aïoli of this roast beef sandwich take the flavor from classic to fabulous. Roast Beef & Horseradish Cream Tea Sandwiches pictured with Shrimp & Endive Salad Tea Sandwiches.
Roast Beef & Horseradish Cream Tea Sandwiches
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon
- ⅛ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 6 slices white sandwich bread
- 6 slices dark pumpernickel bread
- 12 ounces thinly sliced roast beef
- 1 cup loosely packed watercress leaves
- In a small bowl, stir together horseradish, sour cream, mayonnaise, tarragon, and salt to make an aïoli.
- Using a long serrated bread knife in a gentle sawing motion, cut bread slices into 3-inch squares, discarding crusts. Cut each square into 2 (3×1½-inch) rectangles. Spread an even layer of aïoli onto each bread rectangle.
- Divide beef among 6 white bread rectangles and 6 pumpernickle rectangles, both mayonnaise side up, arranging beef in a ruffled fashion and trimming to fit, if necessary. Top beef with watercress. Cover with another bread slice of the opposite kind, mayonnaise side down. Serve immediately, or cover with damp paper towels, place in a covered container, and refrigerate for a few hours until serving time.
Kitchen Tip: For variety, use two different bread types to add contrast in appearance as well as taste.