A delicious Red Onion Marmalade adds delectable flavor to hearty Roast Beef Tea Sandwiches. These sandwiches are wonderful for afternoon tea or a tasty lunchtime meal.
- 12 mini croissants
- Red Onion Marmalade (recipe follows)
- 1 cup baby rocket (arugula)
- ½ pound thinly sliced roast beef
- Using a serrated knife, cut croissants in half horizontally. Spread a thick layer of Red Onion Marmalade onto bottom half of croissants. Divide roast beef slices among sandwiches. Top beef with rocket and cover with top half of croissants. Serve immediately, or cover with a damp tea towel or paper towels and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 2 tablespoons (1 ounce) unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large red onions, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon fresh thyme
- Sea salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- ¾ cup dry red wine
- ¾ cup malt vinegar
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and oil; add onions and stir until coated. Stir in sugar, thyme, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft and caramelized, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Stir in wine and vinegar. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture is thick and syrupy, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let mixture cool in pan. Serve on sandwiches, or transfer to plastic containers, cover, and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!