Serve these tasty Roasted Pear, Cardamom & Almond Scones all winter long!
Roasted Pear, Cardamom & Almond Scones
- 2½ cups diced peeled Bartlett pears
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons half-and-half, divided
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Arrange oven racks so top rack is closer to broiler and second rack is in center of oven. Place a large sheet of foil on top rack. (Foil should cover rack.) Preheat oven to 400°. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place diced pears on one prepared baking sheet.
- Roast pears for 20 minutes on lower rack. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Increase oven temperature to 425°.
- In the work bowl of a food processor, pulse together flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, salt, and cardamom until combined. Add cold butter, and pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Add roasted pears and 1 cup half-and-half, folding in until mixture is combined and evenly moist. (If dough seems dry, add more half-and-half, 1 tablespoon at a time.)
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and gently knead 4 to 5 times. Using a rolling pin, roll out dough to a 1-inch thickness. Using a 2-inch fluted square cutter, cut 12 scones from dough, rerolling scraps once. Place scones ½ inch apart on remaining prepared baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg. Brush tops of scones with egg.
- In a medium bowl, stir together sliced almonds, brown sugar, and honey. Spoon almond mixture on top of scones, dividing evenly.
- Place baking sheet on lower rack, ensuring foil on top rack completely covers scones. (This will prevent excess browning of almond topping.)
- Bake until edges of scones are golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean, 8 to 10 minutes.
Recommended Condiment: Devonshire Cream