Crème fraîche adds both beauty and flavor to this scrumptious fall soup.
Roasted Yellow Tomato Soup
- 3 pounds yellow tomatoes, stemmed and halved
- 3 large shallots, halved lengthwise
- 1 large leek, halved lengthwise
- 3 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- Garnish: crème fraîche
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- Place tomatoes, shallots, leek, and garlic on prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with oil, and sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Bake until vegetables are slightly charred, approximately 35 minutes. Discard garlic skins.
- In a large Dutch oven, stir together broth, cream, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, and remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Add charred vegetables. Using a potato masher, break up vegetables.
- Working in batches, transfer soup mixture to the container of a blender; blend until smooth. Return to Dutch oven, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Divide soup among serving bowls. Spoon several dots of crème fraîche onto each serving. Drag the tip of a knife through crème fraîche to create a design, if desired. Serve immediately.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!