These beautiful, heart-shaped Rose Hip Linzer Cookies are the perfect treat to savor for Valentine’s Day.
Rose Hip Linzer Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup blanched almond flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup rose hip jam
- Garnish: Confectioners’ sugar
- In a large bowl, beat butter with a mixer at low speed until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Add granulated sugar and almond extract, beating until thick and creamy, 2 to 3 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add flours and salt, beating until combined.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and shape into a disk, and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat to 325°. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out dough to a scant ¼-inch thickness. Using a 2¼-inch fluted heart-shaped cutter dipped in flour, cut 36 cookies from dough, rerolling scraps as necessary. Using a 1¼-inch heart-shaped cutter, cut centers from 18 cookies. Place on prepared baking sheets. Freeze cookies until firm, approximately 15 minutes.
- Bake until edges of cookies are light golden brown, 18 to 22 minutes, rotating baking sheets halfway through baking. Let cool on baking sheets for 3 minutes. Transfer cookies to wire racks, and let cool completely. Store at room temperature in an airtight container with layers separated by wax paper until ready to serve.
- Just before serving, garnish cutout cookies with a dusting of confectioners’ sugar, if desired. In a medium bowl, whisk jam until smooth. Transfer jam to a piping bag, and cut a ¼-inch opening in tip. Pipe an even layer of jam onto flat side of whole cookies, leaving a ⅛-inch border. Top each with a cutout cookie, sugar side up.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!