Honeycrisp apples, toasted pecans, and flavorful spices create a delicious work of art in Rosy Apple-Pecan Tartlets.
Rosy Apple-Pecan Tartlets
- 1 (14.1-ounce) package refrigerated pie dough (2 sheets)
- 2 large eggs, divided
- ¾ cup lightly toasted pecan halves
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg white
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 large Honeycrisp apples, quartered and seeded
- ½ cup apple jelly
- 2 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, unfold pie dough. Using a 4½-inch round cutter, cut 8 rounds from each dough. Transfer each round to a 3¾-inch removable-bottom fluted tartlet pan. Using the wide end of a chopstick, gently press dough into indentations in sides of pans. Trim excess dough. Using a fork, prick bottom of each tartlet dough 4 times. Place tartlet pans on prepared baking sheet. Freeze for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, lightly whisk 1 egg. Brush a thin layer of beaten egg onto tartlet dough. Top each with a sheet of parchment paper, letting ends extend over edges of pans. Add pie weights.
- Bake for 12 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Carefully remove parchment and weights. Reduce oven temperature to 375°.
- In the work bowl of a food processor, pulse pecans until finely ground.
- In a medium bowl, beat together butter, sugar, apple pie spice, cinnamon, and salt with a mixer at medium-low speed until creamy. Add egg white and remaining 1 egg, beating until incorporated. Using a rubber spatula, scrape sides of bowl. With mixer at low speed, add ground pecans, flour, and vanilla extract, beating until well combined. Divide pecan filling among prepared tartlet pans, smoothing tops with an offset spatula.
- Using setting #2 on a French mandoline, thinly slice apples. Using a sharp knife, cut into ¾-inch-long slices. Place apples in a microwave-safe bowl, and cover with a damp paper towel. Microwave for 30 seconds so apples are easily pliable. Arrange apples on top of pecan filling in a rose pattern, peeling edges up.
- Bake on bottom rack of oven for 15 minutes. Cover with foil, and bake until a wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean, approximately 15 minutes more. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Just before serving, carefully remove tartlets from pans. In a small microwave-safe bowl, stir together apple jelly and 2 tablespoons water. Microwave on high until smooth, approximately 30 seconds. Brush onto tartlets. Serve immediately.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!