These pretty Rosy Apple Tartlets are just as tasty as they look.
Rosy Apple Tartlets
Yield: 12 tartlets • Preparation: 45 minutes • Cook: 5 minutes
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅓ cup hot cinnamon red candies
- 3 very small Gala apples
- 12 (1¾-inch) shortbread tartlet shells, such as Clearbrook Farms
- In a medium saucepan, combine water, sugar, and cinnamon candies. Bring just to a boil, stirring to combine as candies melt. Reduce heat to low, and simmer mixture until slightly thickened, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Using a sharp knife, cut apples vertically into 4 sections, leaving cores intact. Discard cores. Referring to photo below, place each section on its side on a cutting board, and cut into very thin (⅛-inch) slices (refer to Reference 1 photo). Add slices to cinnamon syrup, and simmer over low heat until apples are tender and somewhat transparent, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove apples from syrup, reserving syrup, and let cool completely.
- Referring Reference 2 and 3 photos below, arrange apple slices, peeling side up, in tart-let shells. Brush apple slices with reserved syrup, if desired.
From TeaTime, September/October 2015