Layers of thinly sliced cucumbers and pink peppercorn butter make these ruffled canapés a special treat.
Ruffled Cucumber Canapés
- 1½ English cucumbers
- 6 slices very thin white bread
- 1 recipe Pink Peppercorn Butter (recipe follows)
- Garnish: ground pink peppercorns
- Cut cucumbers in half lengthwise.
- Cut each bread slice to the same width as the cucumber halves.
- Cut cucumber halves into 5-inch lengths.
- Using a mandoline, cut 24 paper-thin slices from cucumber lengths, and arrange on paper towels to absorb moisture.
- Spread a thin layer of Pink Peppercorn Butter onto each bread slice. Place a cucumber slice on bread rectangle, rolling back top edge and looping cucumber slice. Fold a cucumber slice in half to make a loop, and place on top of first looped slice in a staggered fashion. Add 2 more slices in the same manner. With the last cucumber slice, finish off by rolling end forward and back and tucking under. Repeat for remaining bread rectangles and cucumber slices.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of ground peppercorns, if desired.
Make-Ahead Tip: Canapés can be assembled an hour in advance, covered with damp paper towels, and refrigerated until serving time.
Pink Peppercorn Butter
Yield: ¼ cup
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, softened
- ¼ teaspoon ground pink peppercorns
- In a small bowl, combine butter and pink peppercorns, stirring to blend.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!