Pumpernickel bread, smoked salmon, and a fresh Mustard-Dill Vinaigrette make delightful canapés.
- 6 slices pumpernickel bread, frozen
- 1 (4-ounce) package sliced smoked salmon
- Mustard-Dill Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
- Garnish: chopped purple cabbage, capers, lemon curls, fresh dill sprigs
- Using a 2-inch square cutter, cut 12 squares from frozen bread slices, discarding scraps. Cover with damp paper towels, and let bread thaw slightly, approximately 15 minutes.
- Using the same cutter, cut 12 squares from smoked salmon slices, discarding scraps or saving them for another use.
- Place a salmon slice on each bread square. Brush salmon with Mustard-Dill Vinaigrette.
- Garnish each canapé with cabbage, capers, a lemon curl, and a dill sprig.
Makes ¼ cup
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a glass jar with screw-top lid, combine oil, dill, vinegar, sugar, mustard, salt, and pepper. Shake vigorously until emulsified.
- Use immediately, or refrigerate for up to 1 day. Let come to room temperature before using, and shake again to blend.