These charming and oh-so delicious Santa Hat Scones are sure to delight children and adults alike at a whimsical Christmas tea.
Santa Hat Scones
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold salted butter, cut into pieces
- ⅓ cup white chocolate chips
- ⅓ cup sweetened flaked coconut, chopped
- ¾ cup plus 3 tablespoons cold heavy whipping cream, divided
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 fresh strawberries, stems removed
- Mascarpone Frosting (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender or 2 forks, cut butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in white chocolate and coconut.
- In a small bowl, whisk together ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons cold cream and vanilla extract. Add to flour mixture, stirring until a dough begins to form. Working gently, bring mixture together with hands until a dough forms. (If dough seems dry, add more cream, 1 tablespoon at a time.)
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and knead gently 4 to 5 times. Using a rolling pin, roll out dough to a 1-inch thickness. Using a 2-inch round cutter dipped in flour, cut 12 scones from dough, rerolling scraps once. Place scones 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet. Brush tops of scones with remaining 1 tablespoon cream.
- Bake until edges of scones are golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Place Mascarpone Frosting in a piping bag fitted with a medium open-star tip (Wilton #21). Pipe a silver dollar-size circle of frosting onto tops of scones. Place a strawberry, cut side down, into center of each circle, and press down slightly. Pipe a pea-size dot of frosting onto tip of each strawberry. Serve immediately.
Serves: 1 cup
- ½ cup mascarpone cheese
- 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, beat mascarpone cheese with a mixer at medium speed until thick and creamy. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar, beating until smooth. Add cream and vanilla extract, beating until combined. Use immediately.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!