Blue cheese and pears make a flavorful combination in these Savory Pear-Onion Compotes in Puff Pastry Baskets.
Savory Pear-Onion Compote in Puff Pastry Baskets
Yield: 6 servings • Preparation: 30 minutes • Bake: 13 to 15 minutes • Cook: 10 minutes
Write a review
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen puff pastry shells
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- ½ cup chopped sweet onion
- 3 medium Comice pears, peeled, cored, and diced
- 3 tablespoons golden balsamic vinegar, such as B. R. Kohn
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper*
- ⅓ cup blue cheese crumbles
- Garnish: fresh rosemary
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Place puff pastry shells on baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, combine egg and water, whisking to blend. Brush egg mixture over tops of puff pastry shells.
- Bake shells until golden brown, 13 to 15 minutes. Punch top layer of pastry into shells to create baskets. (This will provide support for pear mixture). Set aside.
- In a medium nonstick sauté pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, and cook until tender and slightly caramelized, approximately 5 minutes. Add pears, balsamic vinegar, rosemary, and pepper. Cook over medium heat until just heated through. Add blue cheese crumbles, stirring to combine. Divide pear mixture (compote) among puff pastry baskets.
- Garnish each serving with a rosemary sprig, if desired.
- Serve warm.
- *If using ground black pepper, reduce amount to ⅛ teaspoon.
TeaTime Magazine https://www.teatimemagazine.com/