Tomato and basil are the perfect pair in these fresh herb scones.
Savory Tomato-Basil Scones
Yield: 16 scones
Write a review
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅓ cup finely ground dehydrated sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
- 5 tablespoons cold butter, cut into cubes
- ¼ cup grated pecorino cheese
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons heavy cream, divided
- 16 thin slices grape tomato
- Preheat oven to 425˚. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, salt, and garlic powder; stir in the ground sun-dried tomatoes. Using a pastry blender, cut the butter into the flour mixture until mixture is crumbly. Stir in the pecorino and basil.
- Add 1 cup cream, and stir until dough is just combined. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, gently knead a few times, and pat dough into a 1/2-inch-thick round.
- Cut the round into 16 wedges, and place wedges on the prepared baking sheet. Top each wedge with a tomato slice, and brush tops of scones with remaining 3 tablespoons cream. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack.
TeaTime Magazine https://www.teatimemagazine.com/