Our Smoked Birdie Salad Sandwiches are almost too pretty to eat, especially when garnished with a brightly colored carrot rosette.
Smoked Birdie Salad Sandwiches
Yield: 2½ dozen sandwiches • Preparation: 10 minutes • Cook: 20 minutes • Refrigerate: 1 hour
Write a review
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 cups water
- ¼ cup plus 1 teaspoon liquid smoke, divided
- 3 tablespoons Lapsang Souchong* loose tea leaves
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup matchstick-cut carrots
- 2 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (16-ounce) loaf wheat bread, unsliced
- Garnish: carrot rosettes and fresh parsley
- Place chicken in a large vegetable steamer. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine water, ¼ cup liquid smoke, and tea leaves. Bring to a boil.
- Carefully place steamer with chicken over boiling water in pan. Cover and cook chicken for 20 minutes. Remove chicken, and cool completely.
- Roughly chop chicken. Place chicken in the work bowl of a food processor. Add mayonnaise, carrots, mustard, honey, onion, salt, pepper, and remaining 1 teaspoon liquid smoke. Pulse until smooth. Set aside.
- Slice bread horizontally into ½-inch-thick slices. Using a rolling pin, roll until flattened and smooth.
- Spread ½ to ¾ cup mixture on bread. Carefully roll from narrow end to narrow end, roulade style.
- Wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Repeat with remaining mixture and bread.
- Remove roulades from refrigerator. Slice into ¼- to ½-inch slices. Serve immediately.
- Garnish servings with carrot rosettes and parsley, if desired.
- *For testing purposes, we used Elmwood Inn Fine Teas Lapsang Souchong.
TeaTime Magazine https://www.teatimemagazine.com/