Earthy mushrooms and smoked Gouda cheese combine in these savory tartlets.
Smoked Gouda–Mushroom Tartlets
Yield: 8 tartlets • Preparation: 35 minutes • Bake: 48 to 55 minutes • Cool: 15 minutes
Write a review
- 1 (8-ounce) package sliced white button mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 1 (14.1-ounce) package refrigerated pie dough (2 sheets)
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 large eggs
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¾ cup coarsely shredded smoked gouda cheese
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, toss mushrooms with olive oil, salt, and ⅛ teaspoon pepper until mushrooms are evenly coated. Spread in an even layer on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until mushrooms are tender and begin to release their juices, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool, then chop finely. Set aside.
- Increase oven temperature to 450°.
- Using a 4½-x-2½-inch tartlet pan as a guide, cut 8 rectangles from pie dough. Line 8 (4½-x-2½-inch) tartlet pans with pie dough, trimming to fit. Prick dough in bottoms of tartlet pans lightly with a fork.
- Bake until light golden brown, approximately 5 minutes. Let cool completely. Set aside.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°.
- In a small bowl, combine cream, eggs, remaining ⅛ teaspoon pepper, and nutmeg, whisking to blend. Set aside.
- Divide cheese evenly among prepared tartlet pans. Place chopped mushrooms on top of cheese, dividing evenly. Pour egg mixture over mushrooms, and sprinkle with thyme leaves.
- Bake until mixture is set and slightly puffed, 18 to 20 minutes. Remove from oven, and let cool for 15 minutes. Remove tartlets from pans.
- Serve within 3 hours, warm or at room temperature.
- • Smoked Gouda–Mushroom Tartlets can be made a day ahead, covered, and refrigerated. Warm in a 350° oven for 5 to 8 minutes before serving.
TeaTime Magazine https://www.teatimemagazine.com/